Silent Sundays Series: The Freshman (new date!)
October 3 @ 2:30 pm
Bring the family to the Playhouse October 3rd at 2:30pm for a Sunday afternoon at the movies featuring the 1925 collegiate comedy, The Freshman, starring silent comedy great Harold Lloyd!
Lloyd plays Harold Lamb, a kind-hearted, optimistic, and “bespectacled go-getter who heads off to college thinking his experiences will be just like the ones he saw in the movies” (tcm.com). He soon realizes though that college is not what it seems. In the hopes of becoming popular on campus, he tries joining the football team. “This crowd pleaser is a gleeful showcase for Lloyd’s slapstick brilliance and incandescent charm.” (criterion.com).
The Freshman was one of Lloyd’s biggest box office hits. Called the ‘grand-daddy’ of college comedies, the film influenced college themed films thereafter. In 1990, The Freshman was added to the Library of Congress’ National Film Registry, deemed as “culturally, historically or aesthetically significant.”
Accompanying the film on our 1924 Mighty Wurlitzer theater pipe organ is American Theatre Organ Society’s Organist of the Year (2012) Mark Herman.
Silent Sundays continue with Charlie Chaplin’s The Gold Rush (1925) on November 28th.
Ticket prices start at $10 ($12 day of show).
We look forward to seeing you back at the Playhouse! Before your next visit, here is what you should know:
1. We highly recommend purchasing your tickets in advance. Tickets are available at our Box Office open Thursdays from 3:00pm-7:00pm or at ticketmaster.com (***online orders are subject to additional service & processing fees***). If you wait until the day of the show to purchase tickets at our Box Office, please come early. Our Box Office opens 90 minutes before a show begins. Mastercard and Visa are the two accepted forms of payment.
2. Wearing a face covering properly over your nose and mouth is required. Bandanas, gaiters, and masks with valves are not permitted.
3. Bring your photo ID along with proof of full vaccination or negative C-19 test results taken within 72 hours of the event.
4. There will be a bag check before you enter the theater. Leave snacks and drinks at home, except bottled water if needed. Bags larger than 12” x 12” x 6” are not allowed.
5. Arrive early! It may take some time to go through our check station. Doors open 1 hour before showtime.
Photo © 2021 Harold Lloyd Entertainment, Inc.